Saturday, May 18, 2013

Praise God

For years, I've felt funny saying this. I'd always prayed to deities, even thanked them, but "Praise God!" seems like a phrase for Christians and the like. It belongs to a club that I'm not part of, so I've only said it jokingly. Now that I see God in such a different light, it doesn't feel weird to say it at all. You'd think it would feel even weirder. God is not a deity and thus doesn't need, want or require praise. Praise isn't for god's benefit, though. It's for yours--for your soul's. Knowing your blessings, counting them, feeling truly thankful for them, the little things and the big things--gratitude--this is good for you. Praise God, in the abstract, when an unexpected twist of fate blesses you; praise the God at the heart of you when you have done well, whether it's accomplishing a long-held goal or simply showing strength in a moment of strife. It's good for you.

It's easy to blame God or yourself for the things that go wrong, but if you have faith that in the long-term everything is being set up to go right, and you don't lose your sense of gratitude for that, it's a lot easier to get through the tough moments without becoming bitter. I don't know if I'll be able to put this into practice through everything I endure, but it seems to be worth a shot. So far, so good. I got a lot of "wrongs" and no idea how they're going to turn into "rights," but I think if I just keep following my heart, it'll lead me where I'm supposed to be. Every morning when I wake up I'm being given another day to work towards getting there. Glory be to God for that. The universe loves me, and you, and God is Love. I resolve to praise God whenever I damn well please!

No comments:

Post a Comment