Thursday, January 31, 2013

two commandments

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
 
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

- Matthew 22:36-40

The second is like it. Love your neighbor as yourself. The second is like it.

lord (n):
1. a person who has authority, control, or power over others; a master, chief, or ruler
2. a person who exercises authority from property rights; an owner of land, houses, etc
3. a person who is a leader or has a great influence in a chosen profession

We have free will. We have authority, control, and power over ourselves as well as our homes. We lead ourselves, through our consciousness. Whoever is your Lord is your God. That's you.

Be your own God. Love yourself. And if you can't yet, become a God you can love. That means being yourself--because you won't love yourself, if you're being something you're not--and possibly making a few changes. But really, wouldn't they be changes you've always intended, deep down, to make someday? There's no hope for you if you lack a conscience, but if you have a conscience, trust it, as well as your consciousness--and you can do and be the god that you're meant to be, perhaps not now, not overnight, but someday.

A teacher once told me in class, "You do not have a soul. You are a soul." I disagree. I am not a soul; I have a soul. I am a human, but that is only a shell. What makes me alive, immortal, and divine is the essence of life within me, the force that drives me, the eternal destiny that I am always moving toward. Every living creature has that, but because I am human, I am conscious of it--although not fully, not yet. That is god. That is my higher conscious, my greater purpose, my true nature, and it trascends the trappings of this life and every lifetime I shall endure. And that is where love comes from.


No comments:

Post a Comment