Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Forgive, but do not forget.

"In perfect love and perfect trust"

does not mean trusting everyone completely and deluding yourself into thinking everyone is flawless.

If I know that a man can be trusted, I trust him.

If I know that a man cannot be trusted, I do not.

If I know that a man can be trusted with my secret, and not my wallet, I give him my secrets to hold but not my wallet.

If I know that a man will save my life, but may lie to me, I trust him with my life, but question his word.

Such is perfect trust. It sounds as a contradiction, but the point is: trust someone to the extent that they can be trusted, and do not let a breach of trust in one area contaminate the trust in other areas that has yet to be broken.

And as for perfect love, love someone for who they are, have been, and will be. See their flaws, and love them. See their beauty, and love it. And love them despite their sins, for to sin is to be human, but bear in mind the rule of perfect trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment